Sunday, August 24, 2008

Chandrayaan I - - India's first Moon mission

I'm not sure how many of you have heard of the Indian Moon mission Chandrayaan-I (Chandra means 'moon' in Indian language). So, a few updates on the Chandrayaan mission.

A few years back, when I was working with the Chandrayaan group, the launch was planned after Astrosat (an upcoming multi-wavelength astronomy satellite), but apparently, this first Indian Moon mission is all set for its launch quite soon (between Oct-Dec), as told by the former ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization) chairman Dr. Kasthurirangan.

The mission includes five ISRO (Indian space research organization) payloads and six payloads from other space agencies (NASA, ESA & Bulgarian Aerospace agency). Mission objectives are:

* To carry out high resolution mapping of topographic features in 3D, distribution of various minerals and elemental chemical species including radioactive nuclides covering the entire lunar surface using a set of remote sensing payloads. The new set of data would help in unraveling mysteries about the origin and evolution of solar system in general and that of the moon in particular.

* Realize the mission goal of harnessing the science payloads, lunar craft and the launch vehicle with suitable ground support system including DSN station, integration and testing, launching and achieving lunar orbit of ~100 km, in-orbit operation of experiments, communication/telecommand, telemetry data reception, quick look data and archival for scientific utilization by identified group of scientists.

More info: Chandrayaan homepage

India has already planned its second Moon mission "Chandrayaan II" to launch by 2010/2011 (hoping to land a motorized rover on Moon).

No comments: