Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Yuri's Day

So I was a little early yesterday, but that article as too good to pass up. With it being the 50th anniversary of Yuri Gagarin's first trip around the world in space, I figure I will post a few more interesting articles that I found. First this one from NASA that contains archival footage of Yuri's flight:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/sts1/gagarin_anniversary.html

It also happens to be the anniversary of STS-1. Next we have an article from Universe Today containing tons of cool pictures:

http://www.universetoday.com/84738/yuri-gagarin-and-vostok-1-photo-album-50th-anniversary-of-human-spaceflight/

Finally if you have some time to burn (about 1.5 hours) you can check out a compilation of images from the ISS recreating the first orbit that Yuri took. It is synced with audio from his first orbit as well. Even if you don't have time just fast forward through it and take a look at the stunning images:

http://www.youtube.com/user/firstorbit

Also check out Google's homepage art for today. Good stuff.

Sadly Yuri himself was taken from us far too soon. However his legacy will live on as humans journey further into the cosmos.

1 comment:

Galaxy Gal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.